Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

QUESTION}

Customer Question

QUESTION}
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 10 months ago.

What exactly is the question ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did you read all of my concerns?

I do not see them. Where are they ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On the application

Could you please type them here? I do not see the application from here. I am sorry

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't go back. It shou be below my nsme
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello?????
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

The question did not come through the system.

Could you repeat the question and concerns?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I contracted coxsackievirus from a child. My symtopms started on 06/27/16 also the parents. They are all ok but I'm still very sick. I went to see the Dr. last Saturday and was prescribed azithromycin 250mg, 5 day pack. For the last 5 days I've been having uncontrollable coughing, excessive sputum. What can possibly be wrong with me? I am 61 years old.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've been taking Robitussin as indicated by the Dr. but is not helping much. I now have chest pain and feel very fatigue,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello???

It takes some time to type an answer, so please be patient.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, thanks

OK

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just like to know if the question will be answered. It's been more then 15 minutes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you cannot answer my question the please disregards ***** ***** and do not charge my credit card.

You said - No thanks.

If you now want an answer, I would be glad to do so.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I said no thanks, ***** ***** don't want to be called for an extra $50.00

That is a routine offer in the system, but in this dialogue, it appeared to be a response to my request for you to be patient while I typed an answer.

I will start typing again.

A coxsackievirus virus infection can last for a variable period of time. Most cases will resolve within 3-5 days, but in some people it can last up to 2-3 weeks. It is more likely to last longer or be more severe in adults.

One of the possible manifestations of a coxsackievirus infection is as a bronchitis. It is also possible for someone with a viral bronchitis to develop a bacterial secondary infection, and that is why your doctor prescribed an antibiotic. Since the antibiotic did not help, it is most likely that the cough and sputum production is a result of the coxsackievirus causing a viral bronchitis. Chest pain and fatigue are also common symptoms in someone with a viral bronchitis.

With a viral bronchitis, there is no direct treatment, so the usual approach is to use medicines to ease symptoms. If you have been taking plain Robitussin and it has not been effective, then it would be appropriate to try a cough suppressant, such as dextromethorphan, or a decongestant, such as phenylephrine. Some of the formulations of Robitussin will include these medicines, or they can be taken separately.

If you develop shortness of breath, then that would be more of a concern, and may indicate some spasm of the airways. If so, it also may help to use an inhaler to relieve the spasm, such as albuterol, but this is only available by prescription, so it would be necessary to be seen by your doctor.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Am I still contgious. Is it prudent to go to work tomorrow.?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, contagious....

Yes, you are likely contagious. Viral infections are contagious for as long as symptoms are significant. As the symptoms are significantly improved, then you are no longer contagious, even if the symptoms are not yet completely gone.

It is usually better for someone to avoid work while contagious.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.

You are most welcome.