Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I am a 67 year old woman who has had PD years. I have been

Customer Question

I am a 67 year old woman who has had PD for 16 years. I have been extraordinarily lucky to have a mild case. I can still walk Independently, play golf, drive a car. Five years ago I started wuth symptoms of SOB with no explaining diagnosis. My PFTs, heart work up and other tests, blood work have shown nothing. I am now at the point that any exercise will induce it. It will come on at any time. Since it started everyone was convinced it was all caused by anxiety but no combination of anti anxiety meds have worked. In fact I ended up on too many benzos and have just finished getting off all of them. So here I am 5 years later, still having episodes of SOB,PD a little worse and I just fell and broke my hip.
I don't know where to turn next. I can't stand this much longer. Nancy Tepping
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

do you have shortness of breath at rest?

exercise induced shortness of breath can be due to exercise induced asthma.

have you tried any bronchodilators or asthma medications and allergy medications before you exercise?

have you had a chest CT scan?

is your shortness of breath worse when your anxiety is worse?

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hello

PFTs would not be normal even with exercise induced asthma.

Do you have the results?

It now comes on at anytime.

EIA is from intense exercise generally.

acid reflux is often an undiagnosed cause of shortness of breath from bronchospasm.

This can be at anytime, it can be aggravated by exercise. Anxiety can make it worse.

In some cases the only way to diagnose this is with PH monitoring of the esophagus.

I suggest you ask your doctor about this.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Hi

The above ill not let me edit.

I wanted to add that this can be from the Parkinson's

In other words, and early sign of the medication not working.

see this article

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19715385

Ask your doctors about this as well.