Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I pulled/popped my hamstring six months ago pulling a rug

Customer Question

I pulled/popped my hamstring six months ago pulling a rug towards me with my heal to straighten it. Pop at top of thigh in back right below glutes. I'm not an athlete, am 63, and swim for exercise 2-3x week. It still hurts after sitting for over 10 minutes.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: since February. sitting makes it worse. sometimes walking uphill.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Chronic lumbar injury, degenerative disc disease, lumbar scoliosis, osteopenea. I have been swimming for almost a year, 30 minutes 2-3 wk. Have lost 40 lbs in last 1 1/2 years, bmi 28.9 now. I'm going on a few plane trips this summer and am afraid the sitting won't be tolerable. help.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

sounds like a tendon or ligament tear or strain or muscle tear.

you need to see a doctor for it and see if you need an ultrasound or MRI scan

you may benefit from muscle relaxers and physical therapy and stretching of that muscle to improve flexibility and strength and decrease pain.

massage therapy could help as well.

you may need to carry around a softer sitting cushion with you for a short time for now.

bengay creams could help on the area.

arnica creams like Traumeel on the area could help decrease pain for now.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using