Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP(R) U.K

My wife and I both went to a restaurant last night and

Customer Question

My wife and I both went to a restaurant last night and shared an entree. This morning we both woke up feeling nauseous. We've been in bed most of the day with frequent trips to the bathroom. We both have diarrhea, I have thrown up once and she has thrown up several times. She now has a headache from the whole thing and she's nervous about what could be wrong.
I'm assuming is food poisoning and thinking that we just have to wait it out until it's out of our system. When should we consider going to the doctor, or emergency room? I feel a little better after throwing up and she does, too, for a little while after. Any advice on what we should do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question, this seems like a staphylococcal food poisoning, this in most cases is due to poor food handling and it causes food poisoning that goes away within 24 hours, If it lasts more than 24 hours and you are unable to take anything orally then you need to see a doctor ASAP. If you are able to take orally then take a lot of fluids this will wash away the bug in the gut early. Thank you.