Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

I am a healthy 57 yr male and my problem is that I am

Customer Question

I am a healthy 57 yr male and my problem is that I am constantly trying to clear my throat that it has become an annoyance to my workplace as well as my home. I have coughed up this thick white and sometimes slightly greenish phlegm. Diagnosis is Post Nasal Drip. I take Dymista (nose squirt, each nostril twice a day). I also use OTC Waldryl's (4-6 per day). This has been going on for at least 5 years with very little letup. My family doctor sent me to an ENT whereby he prescribed to me Dymista. I really need better help and don't know what to do as it is simply miserable.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to say that it is important to have x-ray sinuses as well to see if there is any sinusitis which can also give this post nasal drip. Also I would like to have culture of yours white and green phlegm as this can be due to infection which may need antibiotics to cure the infection. Taking a mucus-thinning medication such as guaifenesin (Mucinex) can be helpful too. There is another nasal spray which can be helpful Ipratropium (Atrovent nasal) is used as a nasal spray and helps to control nasal drainage mediated by neural pathways. It will not treat an allergy, but it does decrease nasal drainage. Discuss these with your physicain as this can be helpful for you. Also take steam inhalation every day which may be helpful.

Please click positive rating hopefully excellent. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Don't worry if you forget anything you can always come back to me.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed