Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center

My mother had a Bakers Cyst bursts this past Saturday. Now

Customer Question

My mother had a Bakers Cyst bursts this past Saturday. Now her inner thigh is black and blue. Is this normal?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: She was seen in the ER and given a pain medication. She has a follow up scheduled.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: She couldn't even get up on her oway Saturday. Tuesday was the first day she stand up on her own.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She's 83. She has other issues, but nothing related to that leg.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 3 months ago.

Hi there

• The black and blue discoloration is a result of the associated bleeding. Although it might look worse, spreading over a wider area, this will resolve over the course of 2-3 weeks
  • If it has not already been done, a clot in the leg needs to be excluded with an ultra-sound
  • The fact that 3 days later she was able to stand up on her own when she could not do that before, indicates that she is improving and the body is efficiently absorbing the synovial fluid that was contained inside the cyst
  • She should certainly keep her follow up appointment

If this answers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Let me know if you have any more questions