Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

My 20 year old son has started lifting weights, at my

Customer Question

My 20 year old son has started lifting weights, at my suggestion for fitness and to build muscle. He takes protein supplements and creatine. I recently found out he is also taking estrogen and, I think, testosterone following the recommendation of a friend at the gym. He is gaining muscle size.. but I also noticed his nipples look like the newly forming breasts of young teenage girl. I didn't realize at the time I saw his nipples that he was taking estrogen.. but now it makes sense. What are the dangers of this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 5 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

This is known as gynecomastia. It happens when there is an imbalance of the estrogen to testosterone levels in the body. This is not dangerous.

However, taking testosterone and/or estrogen can be dangerous for other reasons such as causing blood clots, heart attacks and strokes.

I would have him discontinue them as as soon as possible to prevent any possible side effects.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How will the continued ingestion of estrogen affect him.. he is still growing.

With continued estrogen usage, large muscle groups such as the chest, legs and arms may begin to shrink and bones may become more porous and brittle, thereby contributing to weakness and bone fracture. In addition, fat storage may be increased, leading to a feminization of body shape.