Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I have been told by my GP that I have gh cholosterol and to

Customer Question

I have been told by my GP that I have high cholosterol and to eat less meat, cheese, etc.) But I do not eat meat or cheese and do eat lots of fish/vegetables?Also he said I have an extreme abnormality in my liver, which he says is caused by alcohol. Again, I do not (I think drink too much) 2 or 3 glasses of wine weekly.I also have now developed a very large swollen left ankle that does not abate when I elevate is during the night.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 months ago.

I am not sure what your question is, but I will try to address your points:

cholesterol is not just a matter of diet, but also genetics.

It would be unusual to have liver disease from 2 to 3 glasses of wine a week. It would be possible in certain individuals who do not have the enzymes to properly process alcohol. Again, genetics.

The ankle swelling means you need further evaluation.

This could be blood clot and requires an ultrasound of that leg.

I would do that immediately.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here