Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center

I suffer from Ankylosing Spondylitis and my rheumatologist

Customer Question

hi there, I suffer from Ankylosing Spondylitis and my rheumatologist changed my pain medication last week. He wrote me a prescription for oxycodone hcl 30mg ER 1 every 12 hours (60 count for 30 days). I filled the prescription at my local pharmacy last week. the medication the pharmacy gave me wasn't the right medication. they gave me oxycodone hcl 30mg which are instant release and they barely lasted 4 hours. I had to take atleast 6 a day to get through the holiday weekend. I went to my doctor today to explain the problem and they told me that I have to return the medication I have in order to get the correct prescription. I didn't have I with me and when I got home I realized I only had 4 left. what do I do? I am terrified of losing my pain medication prescription and I have never taken more medication then I was prescribed but I'm in an excruciating flare and I took what I was given? will I be penalized for this? Please help me I need advice.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 3 months ago.

Hi there

• You should have returned the bottle to the pharmacy right away and replaced it with the Extended Release form
  • It is now too late to go back to the pharmacy but you can take the remaining pills to your physician and show him/her the short-acting form. The bottle will have the date of the prescription and you can count the days. If you had it for a week and used 4 pills daily, then that is approximately 24 doses, which shows that you are correct. You should not be penalized. You obviously need the medication and you had to use it

If this answers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Do you have any more questions ?