Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I started running low grade fevers yesterday of around 99

Customer Question

I started running low grade fevers yesterday of around 99 degress - have the body aches and sore throat. During the night the fevers have gone a little higher 101 and above. I am able to break them with Advail. Should I go to a doctor or could it be a virus.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The most common cause of a fever up to 101, sore throat, and body aches is a generic viral infection. If the symptoms are more severe and it were winter, it could be a flu infection, but in the US in July, that would be unlikely.

The only real question would be whether there could be a Strep throat, and that becomes more unlikely in someone over age 45. However, if there is swelling or pus of the tonsils or there are enlarged and tender lymph nodes in the neck, there would be more of a concern that Strep could be present. As long as you do not have any associated symptoms beyond the fever, then it is fine to continue to manage this as a viral infection at home. However, if you develop these other signs that can occur with a Strep throat, then it would be appropriate to be seen.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question can be directed to me through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/