Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Yesterday my cat got scared and scratched at my lower lip.

Customer Question

Yesterday my cat got scared and scratched at my lower lip. He put a small puncture there. Should I worry about an infection? He is mostly an outdoor cat.
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Doctor will figure it out. Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No I have not gone to see my doctor yet. I was just going to take care of it myself.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have high blood pressure, but that is it.
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: Last check up was in Sept 2015 and my mom's side of the family has high blood pressure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.

Hello

Yes, there are two problems.

Cat scratch fever is possible. Not often.

Bacterial infection.

Clean the wound well.

I would also talk with your doctor.

It is unlikely you will have to do anything, but you will need to be on guard depending on how deep the wound went.

You should also, as a reminder, be up to date on tetanus shots.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/