Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I used to weigh 297 pounds I am down to 178 I have all this

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** used to weigh 297 pounds I am down to 178 I have all this skin and I don't know what to do it's very uncomfortable my arms I look like Batman my stomach's still have that my legs jiggle I don't have a lot of money to do this and yet I want to be comfortable and still look attractive when you go to places people all they want to do is I'll try this try that try exercise sometimes it's hard for me I had to hip replacements so what I want to know is what am I to do and I know I'm not 21 and maybe people feel that because you're older but I'm not worth saving and when I do ask about things to do or help all I get is the runaround if there's any suggestions that you can do to help me I would be very appreciative I just want to look beautiful and be happy sincerely ***** *****
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Now excess skin after weight loss of this sort is difficult to get rid of, the longer the skin was stretched (meaning the amount of time you had excess weight), the less likely it is that this skin can bounce back to a normal appearance. Saggy and loose skin of this sort after dramatic weight loss is usually treated surgically and there are no creams or lotions which can help reduce the skin unfortunately. Sometimes it does help by building your body mass or rather your muscle mass. This would be done by exercising regularly e.g using weights, weight training and adjusting your diet to increase the protein intake. This could help build muscle mass and reduce the saggy appearance in some cases but if the skin is too loose then surgery would be the only option.

But in your case with hip replacements it would be difficult to add the muscle mass necessary to improve the bodys shape so surgery to remove the excess skin is the only viable option here. You can try increasing protein intake and exercise as much as you can tolerate and try weight training. Fish oil supplements have been said to improve skin elasticity as have vitamin supplements but they are NOT proven to be effective as of yet. You can try these though but i would still advise surgery if the problem is severe.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

If you dont want surgery, then try the protein intake, stationary exercises like weights, situps or any exercise which doesnt place any unnecessary strain on your hips. You can certainly try the fish oil supplements and vitamins (they havent been proven to be effective, but in the absence of any other option can be tried).

I realize that this might not be what you were looking for but it would dishonest of me to give you information which wont be effective for you or may cause you harm. Creams and lotions are not effective to reduce excess skin unfortunately and i cannot advise you to try something which wont be effective. So please remember this while rating me.