Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Female, age 52, 5'7", 140 lbs. Had a roll over auto accident

Customer Question

Female, age 52, 5'7", 140 lbs. Had a roll over auto accident Aug., 2011. Suffered severe trauma to front and both side lobes of brain. Esophagus 70% detached from stomach with sphincter valve totally destroyed. Finally had corrective Robotic Thoracic Surgery Feb., 2014 at University Medical Center, Tucson. Robotic surgery successful but resulted in patient acquiring Lipedema with severe swelling of entire abdomen. Swelling has also spread to butt, thighs, calves, chest and breasts but only the swollen abdomen is acute. Patient looks 6 months pregnant and has looked this way since 3 months after her surgery.
Have tried everything recommended by the British Journal of Medicine, European Medical Journal and the Swedish Medical Journal. Nothing has reduced the abdominal swelling so far. Her Endocrinologist, Dr. Karen Herbst, at the University recommended butchers broom and selenium. That was useless----actually made patient worse. She is world renown but not helpful.....She did allow us to act on my research of the following:
Patient is currently on Guaifenesin for the removal of excess mucus, Total Cleanse Lymph to keep the lymph system flowing freely and Forskolin for the stubborn fat removal. Her diet is balanced and she uses a stair climber whenever she can for exercise. Her weight currently fluctuates between 139 to 141 lbs. Stature prior to accident in 2011--107 lbs, very athletic, 6 pack abdomen.....
What else can I try that will help remove this collection of stubborn fat around her abdomen??????? Thank you for reading this. Any suggestions will be most appreciated...bb for cs
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

she needs an ultrasound of the abdomen to see if she as ascities fluid in her abdominal cavity

fat is different from fluid in the abdominal region and is not the same as lymphatic fluid.

lymphatic fluid is in the subcutaneous tissues and is due to damaged lymphatic channels from trauma or surgery.

ascities fluid is fluid in the peritoneal cavity in the abdomen outside of the organs and can be due to inflammation or irritation of the peritoneal cavity. this ascities fluid can be drained out by a needle drain.

lymphatic fluid can't be drained by a needle.

for lymphatic fluid, this can be helped by lymphatic fluid massage therapy to push out the fluid,

also compression stockings and compression wear around the waist can help push lymphtic fluid out of the area.

an ultrasound of the abdomen can check if it is ascities fluid or lymphatic fluid

let me know if you have questions.