Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My RDW, MONO, and EOS are a little elevated and my MCHC is

Customer Question

Hi!
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: Hi! My RDW, MONO, and EOS are a little elevated and my MCHC is alittle low. What can I do to help them return to normal again. Thanks for your help.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: My doctor is going to do another blood test in another week, I am on Ibuprofen and aspirin, I also take vitamins and herbs.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately? How long have you been dealing with the issue?
Customer: I had a hip replacement in Feb. and when they did it they fractured my femur and 4 weeks ago in therapy they caused my heel to fracture. I was dealing with being bed ridden with pain they getting mo ement in my leg etc, and then theproblem with
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am basically healthy and lead an active life as a volunteer.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for this question. Well if these are the ONLY values which are deranged in your CBC then this isnt anything to be worried about. It depends on the exact value of the readings, if you could post them here that would be helpful.

Now elevated monocytes (mono) are usually due to an infection and in most cases this is likely to be a viral infection. Mild elevations are usually disregarded if there are no symptoms and these return to normal without any interventions

EOS or eosinophils are usually elevated because of an allergy to something or presence of parasites in teh system or even asthma etc. But again mild elevations in the absence of symptoms require no intervention.

MCHC being low is usually due to a low iron level in the body but again when it is considered by itself, that is not an indicator for anything serious. if you had true iron deficiency then your MCH MCV and Hb would have been low. But this can be corrected by increasing your intake of iron rich foods like meats, spinach, apples etc.

RDW or red cell distribution width is an indicator of how many red cells are present in body of different sizes. this is markedly elevated in serious conditions like thalassemia trait for example but again a mild elevation is not considered to be significant. Iron deficiency can be a cause here.

Do post the values here as then i can be sure on how deranged your readings are. But generally speaking if these are the only abnormal values in your CBC then apart from eating well or rather eating an iron rich diet nothing needs to be done. This would return to normal on its own with time.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/