Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I'm currently making my own vegetable juice every morning.

Customer Question

I'm currently making my own vegetable juice every morning. My ingredient is 1 leaf of Kale, 1 leaf of Swiss Chard, 1 fistful of Spinach, 1 Banana, 1 fistful of Blueberry, 1 cup of Almond Milk. I add all these into my blender and then drink it. But recently I'm considering to switch to something else called "Suja" vegetable juice, it's a juice using cold-pressure technology. I'm considering it because it will save me a big amount of time that it takes me to make my own vegetable juice every morning. Does this seem like a good idea to replace my current morning diet? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.

Hello

You are not heating the veggies when you make your own juice.

So the suja is no better, and you probably pay a lot more per ounce.

You can also by an omega or champion juicer, which press the juice more.

In addition, local, organic, made on your own is better.

Finally, eating the fruits is better, because in making juice you are missing the fiber.

You also get less calories when you eat fresh fruit, and fruit juice can actually act more like sugar in large quantities.

So, it does not replace a meal.

It is definitely better to drink than a soft drink, or something artificial.

I am a double board certified US doctor, medicine and integrative medicine [trained to use food therapeutically].

find me anytime by request in medical.

I am here daily.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. Actually I don't expect the Suja to be better because I know to make drink our own juice made on our own and drink it right afterward it is made is the best and most fresh. But I'm trying to see if it can at least be a good replacement. Obviously if the nutrition level in Suja is much lower compared to my self-made juice then I wouldn't bother with it. But if it's actually well made then I wouldn't mind the cost. Right now with all those ingredients I buy it's costing me around $5 for each time I make my own juice because I buy all my veggie and fruit organic. So would these additional information change any of your answers for me? Also so you are saying I should keep the fruit out of my vegetable juice and just eat them separately? Thank you.

It is better to eat the veggies or fruit.

Freshly made is better than jarred or canned.

If you must drink juice, it is OK.

Too much juice is not a diet substitute, and acts like sugar.

Please click a positive rating.