Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I been having weird issue while. i been spitting out thick

i been having weird issue for a while. i been spitting out thick white creamy saliva coming ONLY from LEFT side of throat. If i push on the tonsil area, this thick white creamy saliva fills my whole mouth that i have to spit it out. what can this be?

Thank you for your question.

Do you have any other medical problems?

Are you on any medications for anything?

What is your age?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

no medical issues

no medications

38 years old is my age

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you may havedeveloped an infection of the deep structures in the throat. most likely the tonsils or the adenoids. These would in most cases also cause pain however in the presence of chronic infections, pain may not be present always. This can also cause other symptoms like a feeling of heaviness in the throat, coughing etc.

Apart from bacterial infections, it is also possible that you may have developed an abscess itself in the throat. Usually an abscess is extremely painful and would also cause a fever as well. if this is the case the the region would have to be drained as soon as possible.

A fungal infection can cause this thick white discharge from the area and the most likely culprit can be candida. if this is the case then orl medications like fluconazole would be the order of the day.

Lastly this can also be due to an autoimmune pathology but i think an infection is the most likely scenario here, you need an ENT physician to do a thorough evaluation as well as possibly do a scope of the throat.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Hi,Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you may havedeveloped an infection of the deep structures in the throat. most likely the tonsils or the adenoids. These would in most cases also cause pain however in the presence of chronic infections, pain may not be present always. This can also cause other symptoms like a feeling of heaviness in the throat, coughing etc. Apart from bacterial infections, it is also possible that you may have developed an abscess itself in the throat. Usually an abscess is extremely painful and would also cause a fever as well. if this is the case the the region would have to be drained as soon as possible. A fungal infection can cause this thick white discharge from the area and the most likely culprit can be candida. if this is the case then orl medications like fluconazole would be the order of the day. Lastly this can also be due to an autoimmune pathology but i think an infection is the most likely scenario here, you need an ENT physician to do a thorough evaluation as well as possibly do a scope of the throat. Do you have any more questions?Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

i went to ent, he scoped my throat and he says everything is negative. i already went through 2 courses of antibiotics but it hasnt helped. I also went to ER and they did cat scan and everything is negative. this has been going on for already 2 months. I also notice that if laying down and my head in certain angles, I feel ear pain and soreness, but not all positions.

Did they rule out a tonsilolith as well? The sinuses were cleared as well, with the CT scan? Have they looked at your inner ear and middle ear cavities as well as the eustachian tubes? (these are the tibes which connect the throat to the ear)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

all they did was stick a tube in my nose to view the area by the chords and they saw nothing.im not sure if this scope checked the middle ear cavities. what type of tests check this. how can middle ear cavities cause this thick saliva/mucus stuff just by pushing lightly on the tonsil area.

what is tonsilolith?

I asking about the middle ear because you mentioned the ear pain, throat problems can communicate with the middle ear via the eustachian tubes. A tonsilolith is essentially a stone in the tonsils which can cause situations like these. The scope didnt check the ear or anything else apart from the throat.

Ill opt out of this question and allow other experts to chime in. its possible that they can give you additional ide

can I help with this question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yeah, i need all the help i can get. I do not know what else I can do. the doctor's dont take this issue seriious.

What questions do you have?

a tonsillolith?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

my whole conditions

please list your questions for me that remain

you got a lot of answers and I don't want to repeat info

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

the answers I got are not valid as doctor's already checked them all. I need more causes.

could it be a chronic infection?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

are there any procedures to diagnose these infections as I am tired of going to all these local doctor's and all they doing is charging me high dollar for guesses, which after going to 5 to 10 doctors, and more then a 1000 dollars down, I am still the same as before, same symptoms, 0 diagnosis.

Yes, I would get a culture done

they can swab it and culture it

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

the ER did a culture of my throat and a culture of my blood and it is negative.

It could be a salivary gland infection to which a culture would be negative
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok, and how to diagnose this without guessing, cause guessing is too expensive for us patients and too rewarding for docs out there.

i really wish that the rates doctor's offices get paid is for actually helping patients, but not just guessing.

imagine if we took our cars to a mechanic and we paid them for looking at our car and guessing at what is wrong. not even doctor's would want to pay them if they can't diagnose or fix their vehicle.

Mechanics do guess alot of times. At least in my experience.
Regardless , I would try a course of augmentin for 14 days
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

and you can take mechanics to small claims courts if they take your cash and dont fix the car, jus sayin. :)

what is augmentin? what is it used for? i also think that i may have tonsil stones or something, but no doctor wants to investigate this.

I agree with that! There is no small claim doctor court. The stones is a great idea. Sometimes they can cause recurrent infections.
Augmentin is an antibiotic used for sinus and mouth infection
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I should try to take these past doctor's to small claims court and see if the judge accepts it to try to get my $1000s for nothing, basically, :(

the thing is i alread took that antibotic but in the generic form, i took it plus two others and still no dice.

perhaps you need to focus on the tonsil stones then

maybe you are right!

Thanks for this question

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it.
​if you have more questions, just reply. :)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok, how can they diagnose tonsil stones. my doctor says, he doesnt see anything on my tonsils.

You visually see them. Maybe he missed them or they weren't there when he looked

Thanks for this question.

Please don't forget a positive rating.

I appreciate it. :)

Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution