Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have fluttering/pulsating feeling (artery?) every so often

Customer Question

hi there, i have fluttering/pulsating feeling (artery?) every so often in my back near my left armpit. It comes on every few hours and has been going on now for 4-5 days..
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no and no medications to date
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now a sensation of fluttering in this area has to eb first considered for heart problems. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have a condition known as arrhythmias . These are irregular heart beats in the area which can cause the fluttering sensations, palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, lightheadedness, sweating etc. This would be diagnosed on a simple EKG and a 24 hour holter monitor test. Sensations can radiate back into the area of the armpit as well. once diagnosed they can be treated easily with medications.

Now apart from this it is possible that these fluttering sensations are due to muscle fasiculations or spasms which are occuring in the area. This can be due to a number of underlying issues and in most cases they are benign. This can be due to caffeine intake, alcohol intake, dehydration, electrolyte imbalances. A simple blood test to look for electrolyte abnormalities can diagnose the cause. In addition increasing your water intake and also drinking electrolyte rich fluids would be beneficial. Cut back on caffeine and see if that helps.

Now if this was an artery you would have pulsating sensations, as you have stated which in most cases can be a normal response to stressful stimuli and due to changes in blood pressure. In most cases, nothing needs to be done.

I would think this is likely to be due to muscle issues, try using the above remedies and see if that helps. if you have additional symptoms which i listed initially then you need to have the arrhythmias ruled out. Also if this is an artery then it can be picked up on a simple examination. try the remedies and if it doesnt improve, see your doctor for a full evaluation.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.