Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

My girlfriends is having some pinworm infection like

Customer Question

my girlfriends is having some pinworm infection like symptoms
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: We are not sure if it is the cause
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: she has been going to the doctor for UTI tests
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: the results of which are are negative
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Can i ask what symptoms is she experiencing? Any other medical conditions? What is her age?

Since you seem to be offline , il leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Now a pinworm infestation can present with a number of different symptoms. These can include

• Itching of the anal or vaginal area
  • Insomnia, irritability and restlessness
  • Intermittent abdominal pain and nausea

Usually these symptoms occur mostly at night when the female lays eggs in the region around the anus and that leads to the development of severe itching in the region. Now if she does have pinworms then they would have to be diagnosed with the help of a number of things, firstly a clinical examination would have to be done. Also you can do a tape test at home to see if this is the case, SImply apply some transparent tape to the area around her anus as soon as she wakes up (before washing up) and see if the tape has any eggs stuck to it. Show that tape to your doctor and he can easily diagnose the problem.

in the meantime if she has itching that can be helped with simple OTC antihistamines like claritin or benadryl. Also OTC pyrantel pamoate (pinworm medication) can be useful in eradicating the infection but sometimes prescription medications like mebendazole are needed. Also try to keep your and her linen separate and wash your hands everytime you interact. Wash the bed linen and underwear in hot water and change the bed linen on a daily basis.

But this should be diagnosed by your doctor.

If her symptoms are something other than the ones i described, i would be happy to continue our dicussion.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,