Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I've been on Suboxone 2 1/2 years and am currently on dose

Customer Question

I've been on Suboxone for over 2 1/2 years and am currently on dose of 3 8strips a day and it's been 24 hours since last dose. Trying to figure out can I take narcotic pain medicine White set 7.5 Lortabs something like this and be fine. The reason being I'm having tooth pain from infection that needs to be extracted in the next few days and I'm trying to figure it out before I need to take actual pain meds besides Suboxone don't want to get sick I don't want to have withdrawals but do want some pain relief but soon really doesn't help with that at this point. Also after I want to make sure when I can go back on the Suboxone or if I should switch back to just regular pain meds due to the fact that there's a couple surgeries coming up
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 months ago.

First of all, your doctor must advise you on this.

Suboxone requires a contract with the doctor, and doing this on your own might violate that contract, and lose that doctor.

We asbsolutely do not replace your doctors visit or advice here, and we do not prescribe, or change your prescription.

Perhaps your dentist prescribed the lortab?....but you indicate lortab or something like this?

No, none of it is OK without a prescription, completely illegal in that case.

All that said: Suboxone can take several days to get out of your system, and in

fact you might precipitate a reaction for the first 48 hours plus after stopping it. In fact, milder reactions can occur over the next week or so.

This will vary person to person.

I would talk with the prescribing doctor or his answering service.

Often suboxone can act as a pain reliever as well.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for this question.

I would not advise taking these together but it might be okay

can you give a little bit of history on this?

why are you taking suboxone?

do you have a history of opiate addiction

this plays a huge role

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi. Thank you too Dr. Phil.
Actually been on Suboxone not due to a addiction but more because I was haveing an backward response to other pain meds from haveing been on them for a while. I was pregnant a couple times pretty close together and had a lot of issues with migraines throughout and unfortunately during pregnancy you cannot take migraine medication so they put you on usually like a stronger pain med like various opiates Lortab Percocet so forth which helped for a while but after using it and only using it when it got so bad which was quite often and it tended to not work and actually cause what I figured out after a while more headaches. So put me on Suboxone to help with hopefully not being on any type of narcotic for a while and possibly pain relief for multiple other issues ongoing pinched nerve arthritis back issues so on so forth I'm sure you've heard the drill. So because I have so many different types of paint issues and I was looking for something that would be possibly stay for a bit then everything I have found out since then has sometimes been nerve-racking sometimes scary about suboxone but off and on feeling mixed about it I feel that I am ready and it has been long enough to where I want to try and see if maybe I don't need such a strong drug anymore and can from time to time only use a stronger pain medication when needed and try 2 figure out some type of pain management not only with medication but with exercises and PT and a little bit of education on my end. All that being said right now the issue is a tooth and I figured no time like the present because both doctors on both prescribing ins seemed okay with me to take a narcotic for this issue and I do have a couple surgeries that will be coming up in the next year so I would like to come off of Suboxone so that when it is time for this to happen I won't have to stress over it and worry so forth. There's so much information here and I apologize I hope that some if not more of it makes sense then it does to me to you :-) please tell me your input my doctor who has me on Suboxone answered after I placed the first question when I called her answering service directly she said to the answering service to relay information to me to say that it was okay to go ahead and take the prescription that I have for Lortab 7.5 325 while I was on Suboxone. And I really thank you to her as well as so she would know that I had already stopped taking Suboxone for 24 hours just to be on the safe side because I had heard such issues with breathing problems that can arise being on both medications at the same time.

In fact I have worked with suboxone doctors extensively and most would say wait one to two weeks after stopping suboxone to use lortab. They would not consider it ligitamate to tell you to take both together.

You need to talk with your doctor and be cautious.

In fact, if you are on suboxone, at the least the lortab is not going to provide pain relief.

You could indeed run into problems.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me, Dr. thomas, any time for correct answers.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here