khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

My 4 week old puppy has these hairless bumps on her tail

Customer Question

My 4 week old puppy has these hairless bumps on her tail that are also flaky. They started as patches where then hair was thining and I would use my nail to scrape off the flakes. It didn't bother her at all. She didn't even seem to notice. Now, a week and a half later they are these hairless, scaly bumps that very clearly bother her. they were skin colored but now they're kind of pink. Not sure if they itch or hurt but she doesn't like them messed with. And after the tail bumps started the edge of her right ear started getting crusty. Again, didn't bother her at all at first but now it definitely bothers her. She acts totally normal. She's a good eater, she goes to the bathroom fine, she sleeps with and plays with her litter mates. She just has this weird thing with her tail and right ear. I have been using Dermapet shampoo but that doesn't seem to help.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Forgot to mention...she's the runt of the litter. She's caught up in weight now but she was too weak to nurse and got very cold when she was about 5 days old. I syringe fed her and bottle fed her until she was able to nurse off the mother dog. Also, I attached a picture of the biggest lump on her tail
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 months ago.

Since it is flaky, it could be yeast infection. You should apply over-the-counter yeast cream such as miconazole cream twice a day for 14 days. If it does work, you should take it to a vet to have its skin examined.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you see the attached picture? So that could be a yeast infection?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I feel so bad for her...it bothers her so much.

Or seborrhoeic dermatitis. Yeast cream also works for it. You may apply over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone cream with the yeast cream to reduce the inflammation of an acute flare.