Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My boyfriend has a sore on s penis and about three months

Customer Question

My boyfriend has a sore on his penis and for a about three months now I have had a smelly thick white discharge coming from my vagina. I thought it was just a yeast infection and now I'm worried we both have herpes ūüėĖ
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? Are you in any pain?
Customer: I'm not in any pain neither is he
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Can you attach a picture of the sore?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He just woke up with it about two hours ago he's really upset about it and currently in the shower but I'll try when he gets out

Ok ill leave a response here which we can discuss later as well

Well there are a few conditions which can cause the formation of sores on the penis. The first one which comes to mind is that he could have a bacterial infection of the region. Simple staph infections if left untreated can result in formation of sores over time and also get transmitted to you via sexual contact. this would be diagnosed on a clinical examination. this would need to be treated with the help of antibiotics.

Now one more cause of a painless sore on the penis would be syphillis which appears in teh form of painless ulcers on the penis which can remain for a period of time. These sores can be diagnosed again on a clinical examination as well as specific tests like RPR and VDRL. The treatment of this is fairly simple with penicillin which should clear up the problem in both of your cases.

Another cause of this can be lymphogranuloma venereum which again is a disease in which sores can form over the genital areas or even the rectum. If this is teh case then again treatment with antibiotics is necessary.

regardless of the cause , presence of a sore by itself for over three months requires a clinical examination. Secondly it is likely to be infectious in nature because your also have symptoms of vaginal discharge so i would STRONGLY recommend that both of you get tested for the above diseases as well as get a clinical examination at your doctors office. Dont leave this untreated for any longer.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

The vaginal discharge which you have mentioned can be an indicator for pelvic inflammatory disease which can cause discharge, urinary symptoms, low back pain, lower abdominal pain as well as excessive bleeding from the area. You might need a pelvic examination as well as a pelvic ultrasound to rule this out.

But i would urge you and your boyfriend to get this evaluated. Three months is a long time for a sore to remain on the penis and secondly you seem to have developed an infection, possibly transmitted from your boyfriend. It is necessary to get this treated.

One last thing which i should mention, i may have misunderstood, did you mean to say that you have had discharge from the vagina for the last three months and your boyfriend developed the sore just today? If so then the tranmission of infection can be the other way around. In such a scenario, he could have developed a bacterial infection, LGV or another form of fungal infection depending on the appearance of the sore.

Do you have any more questions?