Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My 5 year old dropped a heavy object on s big toe last night

Customer Question

my 5 year old dropped a heavy object on his big toe last night and the nail is black and blue and it is hurting him. I put ice on it and gave him some ibuprofrin and have him laying down to prop it up but wonder If I should take him to the ER or if they would do the same thing I am
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: it was last night that it happened and he seemed ok but just started getting worse an hour ago, nothing seems to help im out of ideas
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no he is a strong lil 5 year old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your son. Now if the pain isnt improving and the swelling is getting worse or if the discoloration is now involving the toe itself, then it is possible that your son may have broken his big toe due to the object falling on his toe. Since his pain doesnt seem to be resolving then i would recommend that you do take him to urgent care or the ER to get an xray done of the foot. This would show if there is a fracture and if so they can apply a buddy dressing or even a cast if the fracture extends back into his metatarsals. In the meantime continue to ice the area and apply topical voltaren gel on it. In addition keep the foot as elevated as possible. But i do believe that you do need to go to the ER or urgent care and get an xray done simply because home measures are not improving the pain.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/