Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Have seen my primary Dr. several times and she has run

Customer Question

Have seen my primary Dr. several times and she has run several blood tests including checking my blood platlets which all have been normal with the exception of my thyroid which was a little low and I am now on medication for it. My symptoms are absolute tiredness. I cannot even begin to describe how tired I am. This tiredness has resulted in not doing anything except being on the couch. My appetite is satisfactory. I am at loss at who to see can you recommend the type Dr for me to see?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now excessiuve fatigue and tiredness can be a feature of a number of diseases. considering the fact that you do have a thyroid disorder it is possible that you may have an accompanying hormonal disorder such as a problem with the adrenal glands. This would result in excessive fatigue, tiredness, low blood pressure at time etc. this is known as adrenal insuffiency and can be diagnosed with the help of a simple clinical examination along with specific tests such as serum cortisol levels among others.

Another cause of this can be related to autoimmune diseases in which the body itself attacks various organs and can result in fatigue, muscle aches, joint pains, tiredness among many other symptoms. this would be diagnosed with varioius tests like ESR, ANA and a complete ENA profile if needed.

lastly if all other causes are ruled out then you can have chronic fatigue syndrome which is a condition in which the major feature is fatigue which is not due to an other definable cause. this would be treated with various drugs including SSRIs among several other options.

Now i would recommend that you first see an internist who can narrow down the problem and then refer you to an endocrinologist or rheumatologist as needed but an internist would be a good option as they are trained in all aspects of medicine and narrow down the list to one after getting the requisite tests done.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I see that you are having problems with recieving the answer, ill paste it here again. If you get this in the email click on the link given in it

Hi,Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now excessiuve fatigue and tiredness can be a feature of a number of diseases. considering the fact that you do have a thyroid disorder it is possible that you may have an accompanying hormonal disorder such as a problem with the adrenal glands. This would result in excessive fatigue, tiredness, low blood pressure at time etc. this is known as adrenal insuffiency and can be diagnosed with the help of a simple clinical examination along with specific tests such as serum cortisol levels among others. Another cause of this can be related to autoimmune diseases in which the body itself attacks various organs and can result in fatigue, muscle aches, joint pains, tiredness among many other symptoms. this would be diagnosed with varioius tests like ESR, ANA and a complete ENA profile if needed. lastly if all other causes are ruled out then you can have chronic fatigue syndrome which is a condition in which the major feature is fatigue which is not due to an other definable cause. this would be treated with various drugs including SSRIs among several other options. Now i would recommend that you first see an internist who can narrow down the problem and then refer you to an endocrinologist or rheumatologist as needed but an internist would be a good option as they are trained in all aspects of medicine and narrow down the list to one after getting the requisite tests done. Do you have any more questions?Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I hope you received your answer, would you like to know anything else? If done for now please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated