Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I have a swollen muscle below my right armpit. I hurt this

Customer Question

I have a swollen muscle below my right armpit. I hurt this area doing heavy moving 6 weeks ago. The pain radiates to my back. The pin goes away with advil.
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: just sore muscles after the heaving in late May. Ice helps any activity brings pain. How do I get the swelling down?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 3 months ago.

I understand your concern.

Well you should go for physical therapy including Ultrasound,Transcutaneous Nerve Stimulation (TENS),Hydrocollator and see an Orthopedist to rule out chronic muscle strain/tear.

You may require prescribed strong anti-inflammatory medications orally and topical gels to reduce swelling.

Avoid strenuous physical activities for a while.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Waiting for your response.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like you severely strained or tore a muscle below your arm pit, most likely your pectoralis major or minor muscle

you need to ice the area with bags of ice wrapped in a towel and alternate with heating pads to help relax the muscles.

I would not use TENs units on this area.

make sure you take advil with food in your stomach, never on an empty stomach and also with plenty of water since advil can tax your kidneys.

you should see your doctor if the area doesn't get better

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using