Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I just took a poop and it was completely red...dark red, it

Customer Question

i just took a poop and it was completely red...dark red
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: it just now happened for the first time
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: i have a family history of cancer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

A bowel movement that is completely dark red is typically seen when there is a large amount of bleeding into the gut either high in the colon or the lower small intestine. Bleeding into the lower colon is typically bright red, and bleeding into the stomach or upper small intestine is typically black.

There are many possible causes of bleeding into the upper colon or lower small intestine. Cancer is certainly one of the primary concerns, but significant bleeding also can occur from benign growths, vascular abnormalities, or significant inflammation of the colon. The usual test to determine the cause of the bleeding would be a colonoscopy.

If you are also having symptoms of significant blood volume loss, such as lightheadedness, dizziness, a rapid heart rate, or a drop in blood pressure, then it would be important to be seen emergently. Regardless of the cause of the bleeding, a large amount of bleeding should be address emergently.

If you are not having these symptoms, then it is something that does not need emergency care, but it would be appropriate to be seen by your doctor as quickly as possible.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question can be directed to me through my profile at