I am taking Mupirocin after getting a positive diagnosis on a swab for MRSA
. (I was scheduled to have a colonoscopy and they discovered the virus.) They took the swab about two weeks ago. Side note: I had originally contracted MRSA in the hospital two years ago when I went in for colon resection surgery.
I have been using the Mupirocin ointment in my nose, two times a day, for four days so far. I am supposed to take it for seven days. (Until now, I had increased the dose to three times a day since I read that is considered the usual dose, and I want to get MRSA out of my nose.)
The reason I'm writing is that I just experienced diarrhea, and I'm afraid of what I've been reading about CDiff. I don't have a fever and I still have mild appetite, but I'm really concerned that I may have an infection in my intestine from the Mupirocin. Of course, I will only take it twice a day from now on. Plus, I was putting it far up my nose with a Q-Tip since that is how they did the swab test. I will administer it with a gloved pinky from now on, as well. I also have a sore throat and I need to swallow a lot.
I know my doctor is out of the office until Tuesday, and I probably won't have much luck speaking to a nurse until then, either. Should I wait and see if it gets worse? Is there anything I can do to protect against CDiff? I take a Pearl probiotic, but I probably need more. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.