Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have had diarrhea months with oily stools and bloating.

Customer Question

I have had diarrhea for several months with oily stools and bloating. Seems to be getting worse so much that I can't control bowels. Doctor gave me Creon to try, but he's now on vacation. I'm concerned that I may have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and am seeing his P.A. this afternoon. I just read that nicotine gum could be the problems. I have been using nicotine gum for 10 years.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes. I have been on Prozac and Xanax for 25 years along with synthroid and armour thyroid. Recently started taking Creon which seems to help
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Drink 2 to 3 glasses of wine a day. Quit cigarettes 10 years ago but still chewing nicotine gum. Have panic attacks. Exercise daily. Eat well. Good weight.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I noticed this about a year ago, but the symptoms are much worse until it is now a daily problem. Fatty foods makes it worse.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 5 months ago.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,chances of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency are very less.

Creon is advised to help digest the fat.

Your symptoms can be associated with other possible causes like Malabsorption syndrome,Irritable bowel syndrome.

You may be requiring stool fat test,Amylase,Lipase and ultrasound of pancreas,gall bladder,enzyme study and colonscopy for diagnosis.

I suggest you to make an appointment with Gastroenterologist for management.

Try probiotics also.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Waiting for your response.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.