Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Had what I thought was the flu days. Symptoms included aches

Customer Question

Had what I thought was the flu for 5 days. Symptoms included aches in joints, tired feeling, some headaches, no appetite (drank high quantities of Gator Aid), night sweats, but no throw up or nausea. However, after the 4th day I developed a large red rash on the back side of my right knee (softball size). It was very red and itchy, but no blistering. Within another day I had several other large red spots develop on my thighs and two or three on my arm. Again, itchy but no blistering. The doctor gave me a steroidal shot followed by a 6 day dose of Methylprednisolone 4MG Pack. I am now entering day 5 and some of the intensity has left the red rash areas, but they are still visible, which causes me some concern. Looking back, it seems awful strange to quickly get flu in the middle of summer. Now I have some suspicions of a bug or spider bite, however, that is normally localized to the one area of the bite. Would like your thoughts on what I may have, and should I continue to pursue medical attention. Also, the lime disease test came back negative. Thanks for your help.
Lane
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Can you attach a picture of the rash here?

Hello again,

Unfortunately i have to rush to the ICU, do attach your picture here. Ill opt out so another expert can help you with your query. Sorry for the inconvienience but another expert will be along shortly to help you out.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

The other expert has opted out, but I will be glad to assist you.

It will help if you could attach a picture of the rash.

I had requested a picture of the rash and have not received one.

There are several common rashes to consider in this situation. The injection and oral steroids are oriented towards inflammatory rashes, so the limited response to the steroids would suggest that other causes should be considered.

A major exception that would explain why an inflammatory rash does not resolve with steroids would be if the inflammation is due to an allergy to a substance to which you are still being exposed. When there is ongoing exposure to a substance to which you are allergic, then steroids will frequently only have little or no effect

It is possible that the rash is related to an infection, but there are many different infectious rashes. It is fairly common to develop a rash with common generic viral infections, called a viral exanthem. There are also bacterial infections that are associated with rashes. Trying to identify whether the rash is related to infection, though, would require a review of a picture.

At this point, it would be appropriate to review whether there are any substances to which you are having ongoing exposure. If there is a potential substance that is suspected, it may help to eliminate exposure to that substance. Another option would be to see your doctor again or a Dermatologist.

If you would like to review a picture or if I can provide any additional information, please let me know.