Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

My mother is in a mental crisis and we 't know how to

Customer Question

My mother is in a mental crisis and we don't know how to help her. We took her to the emergency room and she was admitted to the hospital for 6 days while they run a lot of test and they all came back negative. She was transferred to a mental hospital and she was there for 3 days she was diagnosed with acute psuchosis but they never gave her any medication and she was release home. Her prescription was 5mg for anxiety medication. She doesn't want to talk or eat, all she does is blank stare or cries all the time. She leaves walking and we have watch her constantly. She doesn't take care or her self and all this change happened in a matter or days. What can we do, we don't seem to be getting any help from doctors, what are my options in a situation like this? She doesn't like being in hospitals she gets paranoid.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 months ago.

She is a danger to herself if she can not eat, etc.

She can be re admitted.

You need to find a psychiatrist that cares and that you can follow up with.l

Psychosis is not a diagnosis, it is a description.

What is it from: depression? This would need very pointed therapy, not an anti anxiety med.

Dementia? This would need dementia meds.

Skizophrenia? Anti psycholtics.

I suggest you find a geriatrician as well to manage her overall case.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here