Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney disease, he now

Customer Question

My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney disease, he now eats only fruits and vegetables only. I want to know if there is a chance that he can become better with diets and/ or find ways to reduce his pain?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: he has had the pain for maybe 4 months and he does not do anything to cause the pain except that he is a truck driver and he workouts most of the time.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

CKD 4 means that your husband has an advanced renal failure

Usually in such advanced failure the patient generally require a renal replacement therapy

There are no specific diet which can help in term of stabilizing or normalizing the kidney function

I would suggest to see a Nephrologist first for an evaluation and to find out the cause of the kidney failure

Further treatment can be planned accordingly

Kidney failure patient can have a generalized body ache and it get better once kidney function starts to improve. None of the pain medication is absolutely safe in such patients but once on dialysis simple analgesics can be given.

Generally high protein diets should be avoided

Feel free to ask if you have any more question

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Please do let me know if any more questions

If you are done please leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK so that i may be compensated for my time

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 months ago.

In fact, a vegetable protein only diet has been used for decades to slow the progression of chronic renal failure.

He does not necessarily need dialysis yet.

That depends on many factors.

Tell me more about what pain where, as far as the pain goes.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me anytime...let me know if you have more questions.

Please click a positive rating.