Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I was working outside cleaning up a brush plié and in insect

Customer Question

I was working outside cleaning up a brush plié and in insect crawled up my shorts and bit me twice on a very bad body part. The bite had a bit of blood, I washed it and did not think much of it until yesterday when it got infected. It looks like a small ulcer and is draining all the time. What can I put on to clear it up? I do not know what kind of insect it was.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. If you have a picture of the area that would be helpful.

However that being said since this has developed into an infection and is draining all the time, it is clear that a bacterial infection is occurring at the site. It is possible that you may need antibiotics to clear this up. Depending on the type of discharge, the type of antibiotic would have to be determined. Ina ddition a culture would also have to be conducted from the discharge at the site. Now in the meantime what you can do is apply neosporin over the area and use OTC anti inflammatory medications like motrin or aleve to decrease the pain as well as inflammation around the site. But you NEED to go see your doctor and have this evaluated ASAP.

If you can do send me a picture so i can see if neosporin can be applied safely.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.