Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I have a pain under my left rib cage and when i cough or

Customer Question

i have a pain under my left rib cage and when i cough or sneeze it hurts
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: maybe a week in half. My son had a cold and i caught it. just the pain like a pulled a muscle. it started from left shoulder and now its on like i have been kicked in the ribs
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Is there any breathing discomfort?

Fever?

Do you still have cough?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No pain when I breath, I'm coughing less, no fever
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described of having pain under left rib cage when you cough or sneeze can be due to a condition called pleurisy.It is an inflammation of the pleura, the double layered membrane that covers the lung.Most likely it is caused by viral infection, or other lung lesions nearby the pleura causing its irritation and inflammation.

Other possible causes can be overexertion of the chest wall muscles,inflammation of chest muscles due to coughing.

Following will help you greatly:

• Take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.
  • Apply heat in the form of a warm wash cloth applied to the area for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day increase blood flow to the area allowing to subside the inflammation
  • Also take cough suppressing medications.

This will subside the inflammation & hence the pain will be relieved.This will help you greatly.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Is there anything else that you would like to know. , I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The pain sometimes shoots to my back and upper arm...are those symptoms of pleurisy? Can i take Aleve?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Yes,radiating pain to the upper back is a typical symptom of pleurisy.Sometimes upper arm & shoulder are also involved because of nerve irritation.

Yes,you can take aleve.It contains naproxen which is also a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Aleve works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain.It will help greatly in relieving the pain.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

I hope my answers helped.If you still have any questions,I am happy to answer you further.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How long would until i should see a dr?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

This usually go away within couple of weeks.Follow the above treatment measures for quick recovery.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh