Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I think I have cracked a lower rib on my left side last

Customer Question

I think I have cracked a lower rib on my left side last Friday. This morning I had some blood in my stool. Is that normal? I haven't gone to the doctor for x-rays.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately? How long have you been dealing with the issue?
Customer: I'm a 54 year old women in good health. Only had severe allergies. Like I said I think I cracked my lower rib on my left side last Friday but just had a bowel movement with a small amount of blood.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Hi the answer got cut off , ill type is again please give me a few minutes

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well blood in the stool after trauma of this sort has to be evaluated at all costs especially if it accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen or tenderness just below the ribs. Now it depends on exactly where you cracked the rib, because that would show which organ could have been damaged. Sometimes this can damage a part of the colon which is near the spleen, known as the splenic flexure. This could result in blood in the stool.

Secondly it is also possible that the blood in the stool is unrelated to the trauma which you suffered and if this is the case then it would be important to rule out conditions like hemorrhoids which can cause bleeding in the stool as well as pain in the anal region. Another cause of the bleeding can also be an anal fissure in which case you could also suffer from pain while defecating. This would need to be evaluated with a rectal exam and proctoscopy.

Now i would recommend that you do have this evaluated at your local urgent care or the ER if there is severe pain in the lower ribcage or the abdomen, simply because if there is internal trauma that needs to be determined asap. However it is possible that the blood and trauma may be unrelated but still it should be ruled out.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.