Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center

Wife experiencing vertigo. Started few days ago. brief at

Customer Question

Wife experiencing vertigo. Started few days ago. brief at first than went away. Progressed as of today to experiencing vertigo even when changing positions in bed. Some headache, joint or body ache. Dizziness when walking or laying down. Large volume of water intake to prevent dehydration ineffective. Ibuprofen for pain. Wants to wait until tomorrow to see a Dr. What to do.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 3 months ago.

• This is most likely benign positional vertigo which tends to resolve on it's own, though it could take days, some times weeks
  • I would avoid excessive fluid intake though she should stay hydrated
  • She should sleep with her upper body/head slightly elevated, about 30-40 degree
  • It is okay to wait until tomorrow to see her doctor.
  • There are medications and exercises that help achieve symptomatic relieve and in extreme cases, surgical procedures though the latter are rarely necessary

If this answers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Let me know if you have any more questions

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 months ago.

Take here to the ER

He has headache with this.

That can be serious and we can not say this is benign vertigo, which typically does NOT progress and does not have headache.

Viral infection of the inner ear, viral meningitis and cerebral bleed are all possible.

She needs an exam now, not tomorrow.

Please take here now.

Let me know how this goes, and the outcome.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me anytime by request for safe, correct, comprehensive and up to date answers.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here

It is not unusual to experience "some headache" and dizziness with positional vertigo. The cerebral bleed, meningitis typically have more dramatic presentation. Issue has been raised, it is not inappropriate to go to the ER