Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have had an upset stomachache couple of days with some

Customer Question

I have had an upset stomachache for a couple of days with some pain in my back located between the shoulder blades and the rest of the back. Ihave no pain in my arms or jaw and don't have any dizziness. I have acid reflux and wonder oi my symptoms could be from that or possibly I have the flu. My blood pressure has been elevated but not alarming. I have tried to vomit but couldn't bring anything up. I have had bad acid reflux for over a year and have been taking prevacid. I will go to my Dr. tomorrow if my stomach isn't better. I have no appetite and I'm drinking a lot of water. Could this be related to my heart?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now pain in the back of this sort is unlikely to be related to the heart. The only condition which can cause pain which radiates to the back from the front of the chest is a problem of the aorta however it would also cause high blood pressure and severe chest pain in most cases. This condition is known as aortic dissection. This would also cause a difference in blood pressure in both arms, the difference would be greater than 20 mmHg in both arms. Now if this is the case then you would need to visit the ER as soon as possible.

Another cause of this can be due to the pancreas which can cause pain in the abdomen just underneath the ribcage which would radiate to the back. This would also cause nausea, vomiting and also feeling of heartburn and abdominal tenderness. this would be diagnosed with a clinical xamination and also with CT scan of the abdomen. This would need immediate medical attention in most cases. Another cause of this could be related to the gallbladder and it could be inflammed. This can cause pain on the right side of the abdomen alongwith nausea and vomiting. An ultrasound would be needed as well.

Now considering that this pain hasnt resolved and seems to be getting worse i would recommend that you do go to urgent care to have this checked out. This does need medical attention right now.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/