Experience:  MBBS, FCPS

I recently had an ultra sound done of my abdomen everything

Customer Question

Hi Pearl I recently had an ultra sound done of my abdomen everything came back normal readings except they saw some calcified areas in my spleen I am wondering how serios this can be and what sort of treatment is necessary they recommended I see a hematologist any insight you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you Debbie
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I just received the results and thats when my primary doctor suggested a hematologists I have been on 25mill. of levothyroxine for the last 4 months as i have an underactve thyroid I take no other meds and have never taken medication before on a daily basis I am 66 years and have been healthy all my life
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

Splenic calcification can have numerous causes.

It can be due to some previous infections or even some calcified lymph nodes.

Common causes include histoplasmosis , tuberculosis, brucellosis (Brucella abortus), candidiasis, Pneumocystis jiroveci and sickle cell disease. Single or smaller numbers of calcified lesions can also be seen following trauma, ischaemia/infarction. Calcification can also be associated with splenic haemangiomas and cysts. Non Hodgkin Lymphoma of spleen can also give rise to such calcification.

An ultrasound is just one investigation and not confirmatory for any of these. To see the exact cause you need further evaluation. Physical examination and further investigations as guided by your history and physical examination. At time it can just be a sequel of some previous infection and nothing more than that to be of any kind of danger to you. So see the doctor for further evaluation and investigations accordingly.

Feel free to ask if you have any more question and till you are satisfied

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating