Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Just had a CT Scan w/contrast in inguinal area. What does

Customer Question

Just had a CT Scan w/contrast for pain in inguinal area. What does this mean? "Small stable fat-containing R inguinal hernia; no acute inflammatory process."The nurse told me that means I do not have a hernia. She told me to follow up with the surgeon to see how to handle the groin pain. I have pain that comes and goes on both sides in that area. I also have horrible back pain in the lower left above the hip (I do have arthritis in the back if that means anything) (35 y.o. too)).What say you?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

if you are overweight, you can get fat hernia in the groin area.

what is more worrisome is when bowel push into the inguinal hernia area.

excessive weight can also put more pressure on your back and your hip.

you are too young to have arthritis.

loosing weight can help take away body fat and help take away pressure on your inguinal area.

also you could have a pulled or strained muscle in your groin area which can cause pain there.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had an MRI a little ago that revealed the arthritis. I also have little to no cartilidge in the knees, and a pointed heel bone (but with the arthritis and cartilidge i guess thats to be expected after playing and officiating sports for years on end).I am 330, 5'9". Have looked into weight loss surgery as well.Is this a hernia? Nurse said it wasn't but the paper confused me. If so, what do you recommend. I had inguinal surgery twice before. Left side in 2001, Right in 2007. Had mesh placed there both times.Surgeon, when examining told me I didn't have a hernia and said it could be pain from the mesh.So confused...

a fat hernia is not the same as a bowel hernia.

a true hernia which would need surgery is when there is weakness and loops of bowels push through the inguinal weakness and can end up with loops of bowel in your scrotum

you don't need more inguinal hernia surgery.

sometimes after inguinal hernia surgery, you can have fat in the inguinal canal

yes, prior inguinal hernia surgery can cause scar tissue and pain in the area.

you can ask for referral for physical therapy to learn stretching and strenghtening exercises you can do to help you increase flexibility of your inguinal area and improve strength there.

weight loss surgery could help you loose weight

a 5% lidocaine patch there could help decrease pain.

you can also try an arnica cream like Traumeel on the area to see if that helps.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the information on the difference on hernias (fat vs bowel). I had bowel hernias before (the ones I referenced).Does this fat hernia mean my wall opened up and fat pushed out? Will it ever go away? I have mesh on both sides, but I think I feel a little puffiness on the right side (the one that was listed as a R Inguinal Hernia on the sheet) - but not sure if that's fat, bowel, or just my overweightness... =/

the CT scan only showed fat in the hernia

being overweight can cause fat to be in that area.

no, the walls didn't open up.

there is just fat in the area.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just received this from the surgeon I saw before the CT:"There does appear to be a very small hernia in the Rt groin. It's hard for me to get good images here at the hospital, but I think I see it. It is very small which explains why I could not feel it on exam.Given how small it is, I would not recommend surgery unless the pain gets worse and begins to interfere with normal activities. I looked at the last surgeon's operative report when he fixed the hernia on the Rt side. He did not use mesh. Given how long its been since that surgery and only a tiny recurrence - that's pretty good."I do lifting and moving heavy things at work (no not construction, but nonetheless)...I have the next few weeks off, so I was wondering if it could have the possibility to open further (or could it close on its own)? If I had surgery what would be the best idea? Laproscopic or cut open? Why would the pain be on the left side too? Could there be one there too?I have recently had awful stabbing pains in the left buttocks and left lower back. What could that be?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

you can take these next few weeks to stretch and strengthen your groin muscles by doing groin muscle stretches and exercises.

you don't need surgery now

if you had to have surgery, open surgery may be best since you have had surgery there already.

I think you have strained groin muscles on both sides. I don't think it is the hernia which is causing the pain since it is on both sides. you probably have pinched nerves in your lower back as well causing pain in your buttocks and lower back

please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com