Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

My Daughter is in a Mental Assisted Living. She has been

Customer Question

My Daughter is in a Mental Assisted Living. She has been 100% stable on all psychiatric medications and has not experienced any delusions, depressions, or mania. She is diagnosed bi-polar and borderline(I question this). She is very connected to others and is basically functioning 100% mentally. She has Diabetes, High Cholesterol, Gerd, and High Blood Pressure. She has applied to an assisted living and the primary criteria is that her physical diagnoses has to supersede her mental diagnoses to be accepted. Her psychiatrist, social workers etc., all feel that she is mentally stable and has been for almost 3 years. However, I am concerned that the facility she is in will have the mental as primary because they are a mental facility. Based on what I've said, would you think her medical supersedes her mental since, her medical is out of control? Do you know any rules on this? 3 years ago, before she was on the right medications for her mental health, I would have said the mental issue was more important then the physics. Thank You
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 months ago.

Clearly, if diabetes is out of control, this is critical and dangerous.

This would supercede the mental, unless the mental is the reason she is not in control [non-compliance due to mental illness].

It is up to her primary care doctor to sort this out [with the correct forms and applications] with assistance organizations.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for this question

Can you give more detail?

Are her physical issues controlled?

what is her diabetes like?