Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)

I have had a sideache in my upper left abdomen since mid

Customer Question

I have had a sideache in my upper left abdomen since mid may, what could it be.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.

The area of side ache in upper left abdomen you have described is medically called as left hypochondrium(left upper quadrant).

Its most common causes are:gastric ulcer,pancreatitis,spontaneous splenic rupture,diseases of the colon,distension of the splenic flexure of the colon and some other rare causes.

Chronic constipation is one of the common cause of such pain.

Fiber is one of the mainstays in the treatment of constipation.High-fiber foods include beans, whole grains and bran cereals, fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots..You need to increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables as they contain lots of fiber.

And yes,colonoscopy is not recommended at age of 85 for this. If pain persists,I advise to have an ultrasound scan to reveal/rule out these above described causes.

Till than take tab. Acetaminophen 500 mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly in pain relief.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Dear customer

Is there anything else that you would like to know. , I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards