Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have a rash on my upper body and my arm are completly red,

Customer Question

I have a rash on my upper body and my arm are completly red, i have been taking cephalexin 3 times a day and have stopped.
Could this this rash be hives if so how can I be sure and what would help it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Can you attach a picture here? that would be extremely helpful in determining what you have?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Well if you do have hives or urticaria, they would appear as a red, raised rash with mild swelling which is usually extremely itchy. These hives would appear almost over all of the body and usually respond well when the offending agent (which can be cephalexin in this case) is withdrawn and at the same time if you start using OTC antihistamines like benadryl or zyrtec or claritin. These antihistamines can usually help a lot with resolving the symptoms. At the same time if you develop any other symptoms like shortness of breath, wheezing, sweating, dizziness that is an indication that you need to go to the ER.

Now without looking at the rash i cant be sure if they are hives or not and if it is spreading the best solution would be to visit the urgent care center and have them evaluate the situation. Sometimes it can be a bacterial infection and not hives which are causing the red colored rash. The best solution for you right now would be to visit the urgent care center and have them evaluate the rash and prescruve treatment.

Lastly here are some pictures which would help you determine if you have hives or not.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/