Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My 88 yr old dad has had back surgery on April 6th. He had a

Customer Question

My 88 yr old dad has had back surgery on April 6th. He had a lot of complications including blood clots on his lungs which resulted in taking warfarin. He has been so sick to his stomach for much of the time and has lost 10 lbs. He also has a bit of fluid on his spine where the surgery was. I have been told that either could cause the constant stomach sickness. He has tried every pill that is to settle nausea but none work. He has had scopes and colonoscopy and everything is perfect, in fact all his tests come back great. Please lead in me the right direction because he is so discouraged that he is ready to give up. Thank you for your time in this matter.....Linda
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your dad. can i ask has he used ondansetron?

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.

Hello

Unless the surgery was high up in the spine, this should not be causing the nausea.

If it was, then draining the fluid would be the solution.

What have they said about that?

In addition, when the normal nausea medications do not work, and the stomach is clear, neurological responses need to be considered.

Often a brain stabilizing medication will work.

IN fact, he also need a neurological exam.

Maybe an MRI of the brain.

Blood clots to the lungs should not be causing constant nausea, especially when treated.

This needs to be re considered as well.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me anytime.

Dr. Thomas.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Hi

For some reason the system will not let me edit by post.

His current medications also need to be considered for side effects.

If you would like to list all meds he is on, and all meds he is tried, we can look at that as well.

Please click a positive rating, top of this page.

Come back as needed.