Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

Over the past 2 months I have been feeling anxious/depressed

Customer Question

over the past 2 months I have been feeling anxious/depressed more than before. I have been taking 100mg Zoloft and 1mg of klonopin but it doesn't seem to be working anymore. I have been on Zoloft and klonopin for 3 years and it worked fine but now I just don't feel like myself. My dr recently upped the dose of the klonopin to 2mg a day and Xanax 3mg a day but still I feel anxious mostly in the morning to afternoon and overall just feel emotionless. I don't think the klonopin and Zoloft is helping anymore and don't think Xanax is helping either.
My dr. Is very hard to get an appointment with and I have a business to run and don't want to feel like this anymore.
Do you think I built up a tolerance to Zoloft/Klonopin?
Do you think a change of anti depressants/ anxiety medication is the best course of action?
To be clear my anxiety/depression is sharpest in the morning then gradually decreases to tolerable, I don't have panic attacks but I'm not feeling calm either. I have a lot of negative compulsive thoughts. My depression is more emotionless than sad, and it's hard to fake a smile all day.
What anti depressants/anxiety medications do you think will help my symptoms the most?
If I switch medications will it take a while to build up in my system again?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.

Hello

The best course would be to get an SSRI [zoloft] or SNRI and actual therapy.

Klonopin or xanax can be harmful long term.

Zolft can be increased, and talk to your doctor about his, or changing.

You can change, even while there is some zoloft in your system.

The time to it working is variable.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 months ago.

I would like to provide another opinion

I think you should change from zoloft to paxil.

Wean down on the xanax

you need higher doses of SSRIs for anxiety

paxil 80 mg should do it

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com