Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

My skintag has swollen with pus. 2days, It's been there flat

Customer Question

My skintag has swollen with pus.
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: 2days
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: It's been there flat but I could yesterday it felt bigger and I wake this morn looked in the mirror it eas swoll and had pus bump
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can you attach a picture here?

Since you seem to be offline ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Well from what you have told me it sounds as if you have developed an abscess. This can occur due to an infection by bacteria , most commonly a staph infection. Now since you do have pus in the skin tag, it would have to be drained as soon as possible before it spreads any further. This can be done easily at your local urgent care center or even the ER. In addition they can take a culture of the pus so the exact organism which is causing the infection can be determined. Additionally you would also have to be started on antibiotics to counter the effects of the infection.

So what i would recommend is that you go to the urgent care center or ER and have the abscess drained ASAP and get started on antibiotics. Dont try to treat it at home, this needs to be drained and thoroughly cleaned out by a doctor preferably at the ER or urgent care.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,