Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I injected myself with 1cc of testosterone in my left p. I

Customer Question

I injected myself with 1cc of testosterone in my left hip. I put the needle in and pulled back like always to aspirate. There was nothing. When I began to inject I felt a pop. Almost like the pop you feel when starting an IV. I immediately began coughing. Almost like a deep dry cough and a weird feeling. I am a Paramedic so I knew the possibilities so I call by wife to have her on the phone if something more happened. The coughing went away after about 20 minutes and no further problems today. Am I clear of any problems? Should I reinject since it didn't go IM?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: The cough came immediately up completing the injection and lasted about 20 minutes and finally let up and went away. I am 7 hour post injection and I feel fine.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: NO
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 4 months ago.

You don't seem to have any problem. You don't need to reinject it. Since you aspirated nothing, it didn't enter the vein.