Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I woke up to a bat on our bedroom window screen. I have no

Customer Question

I woke up to a bat on our bedroom window screen. I have no idea if I was bit, doubt it but feeling paranoid. We did call a bat specialist to check the house, no signs of nests or possible entry, they said our house is actually sealed tight. Could be a small opening in the screen itself.
Question, it's been 3 weeks now. Should I get rabies shots or is it to late? What are the chances I was infected? We let the bat go, did not send in for testing. Now I wish I did! Would a blood test show anything before I started shots?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 4 months ago.

If you had not bitten by bat then you shouldn't worry about rabies.

Rabies cannot be transmitted by contact with bat guano, blood or urine or by touching a bat's fur.

The rabies virus is transmitted via a bite or scratch from an infected bat or from its saliva coming into contact with mucous membranes (eyes, mouth or nose).

So if you just had bat around your house didn't cause rabies.

You needn't to get rabies shots.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Waiting for your response.It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The problem is we were sleeping in the bedroom when I heard it on the screen in the window. It was between the slightly opened window and screen. It could of been there before we went to sleep but we are not sure, they say you cannot tell if you were bit while sleeping so I don't know what to think. I'm just feeling paranoid cuz they say by the time you have symptoms it's too late for treatment.
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 4 months ago.

It couldn't be possible to have bat bite without any bruise,wound,pain on your body even while sleeping.

If you don't have any bite site on your body then chances of rabies are negligible.

So I assure you that you needn't to worry about such incident and don't require rabies shot.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please to not forget a positive rating and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just for my own sake, is it too late to have shots to work? It's been 3 weeks since incident.
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 4 months ago.

You can get post-exposure vaccination. If you have been exposed to rabies, even if it was 3 weeks ago, it is still worth getting PEP treatment as long as you do not have any symptoms.

Hope this helps.
Please to not forget a positive rating.