Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I am experiencing a burning pain in my left p area, there is

Customer Question

I am experiencing a burning pain in my left hip area, there is no swelling, but it is uncomfortable when I walk or get up from sitting.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: I have been experiencing this pain for 3 weeks, with no other pain. A few times the pain travelled down my leg
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am fifty three years old, never had children. At first I thought I may have pulled a muscle, I was doing side kick motions like kick boxing, but there is not pain when I apply pressure to the area
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

This is most likely due to compression of large nerve which passes from your back through hip to the legs called sciatic nerve. Main problem lies in the back that is nerve gets compressed there mostly due to protrusion of disc. This causes inflammation and edema of the nerve along its distribution down the hip and leg. I would suggest you to visit your doctor for thorough examination. You may need an MRI of the lower back for exact diagnosis. A consultation from pian physician would be of great help as he can offer you steroid shot in the back which relieves symptoms in the long run. Meanwhile you can take ibuprofen twice a day for pain relief. Warm compresses and physiotherapy would help.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 months ago.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor and I have a different answer for you.

You are not discussing a sciatic distribution of pain.

Please review this link.

What you are describing is more likely a superficial nerve that gets pinched at the hip.

It is much less serious.

Often resolves on its own.

Avoiding tight pants in the area.

Or with minimal physical therapy.

You probably don't need an MRI.

you do need an exam from your doctor.

Find me anytime, I am here by request.

For Dr. Thomas only.

Please click a positive at the top of this page.

Come back as needed.