Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I have a red sore on my penis, A couple of days, No,

Customer Question

I have a red sore on my penis
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? Is this your first time reaching out for information about it?
Customer: A couple of days
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Can you attach a picture here?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Usually sores which are present on the penile shaft can be sexually transmitted. Now when you mention sores im assuming open sores as you have mentioned that they do bleed. These can be an indication of a couple of conditions such as,

Lymphogranuloma venereum which is an infection of the genitals and can cause small painless open sores on the penile shaft. These would be diagnosed on a simple clinical examination and special tests and then treated with antibiotics. Another cause can be syphilis which would be managed with the help of a simple RPR, VDRL test and then treated with penicillin.

Another common cause of sores can be herpes which initially starts as blisters and would need to be diagnosed with a simple clinical examination and if needed a blood test. The treatment is anti virals.

Lastly a rapidly growing sore on the penis can be due to chancroid which is a bacterial infection of the penis. This would be diagnosed on a swab of the sore and then treated with antibiotics.

As you can see most of these infections are serious and these need to be managed with a visit to the urologists office and then treated with antibiotics if necesssary. Since they are bleeding i would suggest that you do visit him as soon as possible. While STDs a are common cause, it is also possible that this is an infection which IS NOT sexually transmitted and this would only be determined by visiting the doctor.

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,