Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

My 2 yr old who has never had issues with spitting up or

Customer Question

My 2 yr old who has never had issues with spitting up or vomiting is suddenly randomly throwing up. It started 18 days ago with nausea, vomiting, nasal congestion, and fever. Took him to the MD and he was neg for strep so they just said it was a virus. His runny nose finally quit about 4-5 days ago although he still occasionally has a wet sounding cough. He has been acting fine, eating good, normal bowel movements. Friday evening I was on my way to work (I work nights) and he was intermittently whining (my child is still non-verbal so he doesn't tell me something hurts) and eventually threw up. It was not a lot, mostly clear with some white stuff, no smell at all. He was fine the rest of the evening. The next morning after we had been home about 30 minutes he threw up. He had not had anything at all to eat yet. It was all liquid and a peachy/salmon color. Not a massive amount. He acted totally fine after that and has until last night. I was on my way to work again and he was whining. When I met my parents who keep him for me I told them I was concerned he would repeat Friday night. Sure enough about 30 minutes after they were home he started vomiting. He threw up 2-3 times. My mom said it was again mostly clear with some white stuff and some noodles from lunch (we had spaghetti). She also said it had no spell to it. Big difference this time is that he was crying after and not really calming as he always has in the past. When he did finally calm down he was holding his mouth open with his tongue sticking out which he does when his nose is congested. He ended up eating some soup and went to bed later with no additional problems. What can be causing this intermittent vomiting? Why would noodles he at before 1pm still be in his stomach at almost 8pm? If he is vomiting why isn't he vomiting stomach acid?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: ???
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: You asked me about a cough? My son had a cough with the virus which started 18 days ago but it is nothing consistent now, he just randomly coughs here and there.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He has nothing other than your typically viruses, a couple ear infections and strep once.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

It sounds like a persisting stomach virus or postviral symptoms that are lingering on more than usual.

Another possibility is that this could be due to some reflux of food and acid into the esophagus or the food pipe that is causing the persistent vomiting.

I would recommend that he should be given OTC dramamine syrup if that is available along with zantac syrup.

If his symptoms persist in the next couple of days then he must be seen.