Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Can i take ambien and lorazepam at the same time? yes, no,

Customer Question

can i take ambien and lorazepam at the same time?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are the side effects ?
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Well both ambien and lorazepam are related to each other but dont belong to the same group. Both of them are known to cause sedation and it is recommended that you DONT take them together because of a drug interaction which can cause increased sedation. However they CAN be used together if recommended by your doctor, if he knows about these two drugs and you are taking them under his supervision then you should be fine. Secondly if they are taken with a gap of 8 - 12 hours even then you should be fine BUT only after discussing this with your doctor.

The side effects of ambien can include a number of things

Visual disturbances

Dizziness

Lightheadedness

balance issues

Sleepiness or unusual drowsiness

Constipation

Blurred vision

Lorazepam can cause

Drowsiness

Blurred vision

Confusion

Here are a couple of links which list their side effects in detail

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/lorazepam-side-effects.html

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/ambien-side-effects.html

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What side effects would occur if i took them together ?

As i said the side effects which can occur are those of increased sedation meaning you could have,

1) Increased drowsiness

2) Decreased concentration power

3) Decreased attention

4) Difficulty in staying awake

5) Speech difficulties

6) balance issues

This is a minor interaction between the two, basically both of them are CNS depressants and when you take them together they augment each others effect causing increased sedation.

Any other questions?

To summarize, These two medications CAN be taken together BUT ONLY after the approval of your doctor or if there is a gap of 8-12 between the two drugs.

If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for our time.