Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

My husband is sick, fever 101.9. Joints sore, head ache, No,

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My husband is sick, fever 101.9. Joints sore, head ache
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? Any nausea along with the headache?
Customer: No, he started feel this way last night
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Um, not much
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Nasim replied 4 months ago.

welcome to just

I am a medical specialist and consultant Adult infectious diseases too. I hope you will find my answer useful.

Fever is a symptom and not a disease. It is basically a response of our body towards some underlying issue. High fever of short duration is most commonly caused by viral infections which lead to severe body aches, myalgias, joint pains, sometimes joint swellings, sore throat,flue like features, few episodes of loose stools,mild to moderate headache and some times body rash.Viral infections are mostly self limited, they take their time and subside after a week to 10 days duration. Fever may go upto more than 102-103F. During febrile periods,use of two tablets of acetaminophen every 4 hours would be very effective to keep temperature down.

Viral infections can affect any system of the body but commonly patients have viral throat infections,viral sinusitis, viral respiratory tract infections or viral gastroenteritis.

Another common reason for high fever is bacterial throat infection called acute bacterial tonsillitis commonly caused by streptococcal bacteria. In this situation patients have throat pain, can not swallow food due to inflammation in tonsils and there is pus visible in the tonsils. It can be treated with antibiotics prescribed by the doctor.

Sometimes fever and headache are features of some serious underlying illness called acute bacterial meningitis. But remember, in meningitis, there is inflammation of coverings surrounding brain and here patients have high fever and persistent severe headache which keeps on aggravating if left undiagnosed and untreated.

Fever can also indicate bacterial infection somewhere else also like abdominal infection, chest infection, bone and joint infections, endocarditis etc etc. Common bacterial infection can be Typhoid or enteric fever which occur due to "salmonella" bacteria. It is also commonly called enteric fever. Here also initial presentation is high fever,headache and minimal abdominal features.Diagnosis is made by blood culture.

There is a long list of infections leading to the symptoms which your husband have.

Despite all theses facts, viral infections are more common and usually resolve themselves.If a patient belongs to an area where mosquitoes are commonly present like around lawns and gardens or if plants are there, then malaria and dengue infection can lead to high fever and sore throat and headache. Falciparum malaria is a serious disorder and should be diagnosed quickly.

I would recommend that any high fever should not be ta***** *****ghtly. You must go for CBC (complete blood count with peripheral film), malarial parasite smear,smear for babesiosis (another infection caused by tics), at least two sets of blood culture when your patient is febrile and urine culture, viral panel for viral infections (PCR test), and a chest x-ray. If these tests do not show anything we call this fever as fever of un known origin which require special investigations.

If you are any more queries, you are most welcome.